The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to teach participants the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. The course content and activities prepare participants to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and prevent drownings and injuries.
The Blended Learning allows participants to complete part of the classroom work at home while giving the class more time to work on skills in the water. Participants MUST be mature and responsible enough to complete the online learning prior to all skill sessions. An electronic completion certificate will be sent to OPREC for each participant when they complete the online modules. If an online module is not complete before a skill session as assigned, that participant will not be able to participate in the water session nor complete the course. No refunds will be provided.
- 15 years of age before the final scheduled class.
- Successfully complete a required 300 yard continuous swim, 2 minutes treading water without arms and complete a timed retrieval of a 10 pound object seven to nine feet below the surface.
If a participant does not meet the pre-requisite skill on the first day of class, the participant will be reimbursed for the course.
After School Blended Learning Lifeguard Course - Full
- Tuesday/ Thursdays 4/10 - 5/31
- OP High School Pool
- 2:15 - 3:30 pm
Waterfront Lifeguard Certification Course
To be eligible to take this course you must currently hold a current certification in Life-guarding, CPR/AED and First Aid. You will need to show proof of current certification upon entering the class the day of and pass the swim test on day two of the course. Swim test consists of 550 yard continuos swim, two minute water tread without hands, times brick retrieval test and underwater object recovery. Participants must be able to open their eyes under water without goggles to progress through this course. Both options below are two day courses. In order to be certified participants must attend both days.
- Course 1: May 18th & 19th
- May 18th 2:30pm- 4pm @ Recreation Department
- May 19th 7:30am- 10:30 am @ OPMS pool
- Cost $70.00
- Course 2: June 8th & June 9th
- June 8th 2:30- 4pm @ Recreation Department
- June 9th 7:30am- 10:30 am @ OPMS Pool
- Cost $70.00
If you have any questions regarding the course please give us a call at 662-6450 ext 2.
** Please note there is no online discount for Certification Courses***