The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to teach participants the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. The course content and activities prepare participants to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and prevent drownings and injuries.
The Blended Learning allows participants to complete part of the classroom work at home while giving the class more time to work on skills in the water. Participants MUST be mature and responsible enough to complete the online learning prior to all skill sessions. An electronic completion certificate will be sent to OPREC for each participant when they complete the online modules. If an online module is not complete before a skill session as assigned, that participant will not be able to participate in the water session nor complete the course. No refunds will be provided.
- 15 years of age before the final scheduled class.
- Successfully complete a required 300 yard continuous swim, 2 minutes treading water without arms and complete a timed retrieval of a 10 pound object seven to nine feet below the surface.
If a participant does not meet the pre-requisite skill on the first day of class, the participant will be reimbursed for the course.
Winter/Spring 2020-Lifeguard Certification / Blended Learning
- 3/21 - 5/16 (no class 4/11, 4/18)
- 3/21: 7:00 am - 8:30 am at OPMS Pool
- 4/4: 7:30 am - 12:30pm at OPREC
- The remainder of the classes will run 11am - 2pm at the OPMS pool
- $260 (7 classes); there is no internet discount available for this class.
Lifeguard Review Certification Course:
For those with current lifeguard certification
This is a re-certification course for those who are currently certified as a lifeguard. We will be in the pool the majority of the class. Participants must be able to demonstrate correct lifesaving skills in water and on land in order to pass.
- 3/13 at OPREC (2:30 - 4:30 pm)
- 3/14 at OPMS Pool (7:00 - 10:30 am)
- $115 (no internet discount available for this class)
Waterfront Lifeguard Certification Course
This is an additional component that those currently certified as a Lifeguard can take that will allow them to work at a beach, lake, pond etc.
We will be in the pool for the majority of the class. Participants must be able to pass the 550 yard swim test, underwater object retrieval test, and timed brick test, as well as demonstrate correct lifesaving skills in water and on land in order to pass.
** If you are currently employed by OPREC as a lifeguard please call Kristin at 662-6450 to register for this class
If you have any questions regarding the course please give us a call at 662-6450 ext 2.
** Please note there is no online discount for Certification Courses***